Wednesday, June 01, 2005

My Spoken Dialect

People all over the US speak differently as well as the rest of the world. I was born in Jersey City, NJ and lived there until I was 6 years old, raised in South Carolina, and have lived the past almost 15 years in metro Atlanta, Georgia.

People from the midwest like Iowa and Milwaukee do not have an accent for the most part.

Most news anchors and reporters have vocal and speech coaches to help them get rid of their accents if the tv personality plans on moving to different tv markets.

Here are the results from an online quiz just taken on my speech. Take the quiz yourself and have a moment of amusement.

I guess from the results that I have more residual effects of living in Jersey City than the southern dialects I have been exposed most often.

It makes sense because where you grow up determines the most about your personality.

Click the link at the bottom of this blog entry in order to take the test yourself.



Your Linguistic Profile:



45% General American English

30% Yankee

25% Dixie

0% Midwestern

0% Upper Midwestern


No comments: