Saturday, April 16, 2005

Kids Are More Technically Savvy Than You Think!

I remember the days when my grandparents kept the tv turned to one station.

My grandma eventually allowed her grandkids to change to one of the 3 other stations we could receive back in the 70s (on good days when it was not raining).

But my granddaddy would always talk about how the reception would be degraded if the channels were changed.

Relatives would always call in the children to find out what was wrong with the tv, the vcr, the microwave oven, the cd, the computer, and the video gaming system.

Now that I have children of my own, I thought that I knew technology in and out.

But today's youth have LeapPad and actually more electronics built into their toys than we ever had. I find this amazing.

I remember holding a simple calculator that had LED screen and thinking that it was da bomb!!!

But it could not perform any scientific calculations and did not have any storage memory that I can remember.

I was so fascinated in seeing numbers being added or multiplied repeatedly until I eventually majored in mathematics just to probably find more patterns being repeated.

Within the past 2 months, our 4 year old daughter Rachel has discovered the remote control and my wife Wyteria said that her coworkers' children discovered it earlier.

We had TiVo working then and this probably slowed her down just a little.

But now she can turn the tv on and off, change channels from any current station, and channel surf with the best of anyone.

From time to time, we still get a request that comes from a TiVo-minded person from her but it is cool.

The youth of today naturally expect technology to be modern and built into their everyday lives.

Even the most popular music has the sounds of electronic pulses, beeps, and tones reflecting technology versus the wind-blown instruments of earlier generations.

Marching bands within high schools and colleges use more technology than we ever could imagine growing up.

It has been said that a significant percentage of adults are considered video gamers but I believe that without the youth still comprising the bulk of the buying market, most electronics sales would steeply decline.

I cannot wait to see what today's youth will be able to create within the next 10 to 20 years.

No comments: